Thursday, May 13, 2010

Creating Innovative Contemporary Glass Art

Side detail of Sunflower Summer, a 24" diameter reverse painted glass chandelier that includes irons, electrical, chain and canopy. Chandeliers can be purchased from the artist, Jenny Floravita

Here is a side detail of one of my newest reverse painted glass chandeliers. As a contemporary glass artist I continually strive to push myself to new creative levels in the contemporary glass art market. Because commissions are a big part of what my business is about, I tend to spend a lot of time creating chandeliers with similar elements to previous pieces. There are many outstanding glass artists who fuse and blow beautiful shapes and they demand that other artists like myself also create only the most innovative works of contemporary glass art.

It occurred to me last week that the innovation of my 'original' ideals are what fuel my commissions. Sometimes only one in every 5 chandeliers is a new original, which is a good problem for a contemporary glass artist like myself. Work is always good and it's a pleasure to create a beautiful work of art for a collector.

So when I have the opportunity to simply create a new chandelier in which I can paint with total freedom, I cherish this time in my studio with my paints. This was the case with Sunflower Summer and I think that this piece really rocks! It's a definite must-see in person and it's quite frankly a very lovely reverse painted glass chandelier.

See more images of Sunflower Summer on http://www.floravitalights.com or on my Facebook page.

To see more, please visit my websites: www.floravitalights.com
and www.floravita.com