Monday, May 17, 2010

Blessed to be a painter and contemporary glass artist

Side view of Sunflower Summer, a 24" diameter reverse painted glass chandelier that includes irons, electrical, chain and canopy. Chandeliers can be purchased from the artist, Jenny Floravita

You've probably read this theme a lot if you follow my Mini Master painting blog but most of the time I wake up and feel excited about my work. This happens almost every day with the rare day in which I'm just not inspired and that usually means that it's time to take a break. Today this feeling came over me as I sat down to paint some of my glass nightlights, which is something that I have to be in the mood to do. Painted glass nightlights = lots of work...considering what little I charge for them. Creating beautiful little works of contemporary painted glass art is rewarding but I have to be in a mood that will tolerate working small in scale.

Anyway, this feeling reminds me that I am blessed to be living a creative life that many people envy. Sure, most of the time as a working artist I don't make a bizillion dollars, especially in this economy but I still do well enough...and sometimes I even "do" fantastic in terms of my sales.

Living the life of a working artist is not for everyone, that's for sure! Most people could never tolerate the uncertainty and vast challenges of the business. It can be tough to gauge the market sometimes and just putting yourself in the right spot at the right time can feel impossible at times and then there are times where everything just works and you're not sure why...actually I'm always certain it's the accumulation of my hard work and devotion.

It's these feelings that reinforce the fact that I work every day as an artist because that is what I was born to do.

See more images of Sunflower Summer on http://www.floravitalights.com or on my Facebook page.

To see more, please visit my websites: www.floravitalights.com
and www.floravita.com