Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Light of a San Francisco Bay Area Glass Artist


36" diameter, commissioned hand painted glass chandelier includes irons, electrical, chain and canopy
Hand Painted Glass Chandeliers can be purchased from the artist, Jenny Floravita

Painting on glass has really become an extension of my more traditional oil and watercolor flowers and I use this gift to allow myself a freedom that goes against my natural grain as a realist. And it is a gift in the greatest sense of the word. The main element in common between the three different mediums is my focus on light. I use "illumination in nature" as a theme in my work and it has helped to tie my bodies of work together. Nature and flowers are the main inspiration for my life's work and it is the sun that gives us the ability to live.

My path with illumination began sometime in the summer of 2006. I had begun to treat the element of light in my paintings differently. I had worked on and completed a series of coconut palm paintings that had an emphasis on light. These were successful, colorful oils that were filled with warmth. My relationship with the use of light in my paintings changed my work.

Most artists consider light in their works to be an essential component and yet we all treat it differently. I know that I think differently when I am painting on glass versus painting in oil or watercolor. However, the goal is the same: to capture the natural world as it baths in morning and evening rays.

**************

Upcoming Exhibit: San Francisco Flower and Garden Show, March 24-28, 2010 at the San Mateo Event Center, BOOTH # 649. More information about the San Francisco Flower & Garden Show can be found here: http://www.sfgardenshow.com

To see more, please visit my websites: www.floravitalights.com
and www.floravita.com